Regardless of the fact that I am no longer in elementary/middle/high school, every year I have the urge to buy new clothes for the new school year. Yes, I understand that, as a grad student, the purpose or reasoning for my historical back to school isn't really necessary (I'm grown and, since I'm content with my size, don't foresee the need to replace my wardrobe because I no longer fit into it). That hasn't mattered for the past 3 or 4 years and yet like clockwork, every fall I head out to purchase new clothing items so that I can make sure that I have some new items for the new year.
This year, because of the timing of this clothing challenge, I won't be back to school shopping. My clothing is stabilized (at least for the time being) and I don't feel the need to make sure that everything has been replaced. Granted, I now eye accessories like a fiend but, for the most part, have been pretty tame. I know my sartorial limits and even though I love the idea of putting a vintage, oversized, gold flower pin on my cardigan, I'm pretty sure I won't be there any time soon. But I think this is a good step forward, the reduction of the consumption urge. (Do note, though, that this in no way has reduced the urge for music/records or home goods, those would need to be tackled by another project on another day.)
Sidenote: there is no bar on borrowing, yes? I have many a flower pin and scarf for your perusal.
ReplyDelete